Sunday, June 20, 2010

Papa's girl

I'm a daddy's girl. I look just like him. I got my first gray hair at 16 from his side. My unwavering loyalty, popping joints, all or nothing attitude, strong faith, straight teeth, and bluntness? His fault.

I love him for it and couldn't have asked for a better father.

So Papa, thanks for teaching me everything good there is to know about love by showing me how you love God and Mama and Chris and Laura and me. And even though you think you missed out on a lot by being gone a lot for work when we were small I don't think you did. I never remember you leaving, I just remember you coming home. Thanks for holding it together long enough to marry me and my husband. Thanks for answering my tax questions. Thanks for not pushing me to be something I'm not. And for giving me gifts without strings attached. Thanks for acting cool when I cuss in front of you because sometimes I forget that we're not just bullshitting but that you're my dad. Thanks for fighting the good fight of fatherhood.

I love you.
Nikki

p.s. sorry for cussing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a lovely person.