Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009



This is my fourth year NaNoWriMoing and I am more excited this year than I have ever been. It's been such a long time since I've worked on a story. I always would guilt trip myself so bad for not writing. Then when I DID write I'd tell myself that what I'd written was trash and I'd mentally beat myself up about how everything I write is terrible and worthless just like I was. Then I'd eat spoonfuls of peanut butter dipped in a bowl of chocolate chips. What? You've never done that? Don't start. It's addicting.


But this year is different. I am more positive and have decided not to bully myself. I didn't even decide this until I read this article by Natalie Whipple. In the article she says that even if you write what you think is equal to rotten bananas it's part of honing your craft. A positive thing. A good thing even. So that's how I look at it. I'm getting the words out there and shutting up my inner critic by pressing on. When she starts nagging me I just push through. Nothing she can say to bulldog determination.
When I pulled out my shiny new laptop yesterday I had no idea, no plot, no pre-formed characters. And so far? I'm loving my story. It's amazing how your muse shows up when you do. (My muse is the holy Spirit but that's another topic for another time.) Expect more writing related posts because I am actually writing again. And boy does it feel right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a lovely person.