Monday, September 14, 2009

The Help


It took me a long time to read this book. It was a weighty, good read for me. I like to roll around in weighty, good reads.


This book is written from three points of view. I love that. I love how all of the character's voices are so distinct. I love that even after I set down the book for a few days to soak it up and started reading again I had no question who was narrating. The premise of this book is the racial misunderstanding in Mississippi during 1960's primarily between maids and their lady bosses. Oh dear it's so fantastic. Stockett does such a great job of showing how many of the white women of the time had no concept of how poorly they were treating the black maids.


She reminds me of how Toni Morrison in The Bluest Eye shows how it is possible for a man to rape his own child but makes sure the reader know how unacceptable it is. She shows how a white child could be raised by a black maid and come to mistreat every other black person without second thought, but at the same times shows the reader how messed up that was.


There is so much more to this novel. Great dramatic things happen. This book was so good. Please read it.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to post a comment earlier from work, but my work computer was being finicky. Hopefully this time it will take.

    I'm really looking forward to reading this one. I really like books that offer varying perspectives--particularly when the author does it well. Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my list since it came out - I just loved that cover! Glad to hear you really liked it.

    ReplyDelete

You are a lovely person.