Sunday, July 26, 2009

The beginning: Dusseldorf

Since my camera was broken, then my uploader was broken I have a lot of beautiful things to catch y'all up on. Let's start with my first trip back in June to Dusseldorf.

Dusseldorf is the first European city that I've been to thus far where I would love to live without military support. I know that sounds weird, but with Hubs being in the Army I have a safety net. Other Americans, translators if I need them, the commissary where I can buy peanut butter and other American things. I'd live here without any of that. But hopefully with a few years of German under my belt.

It's nestled right up against the Rhine River.

There's a street in Dusseldorf known as "The World's Longest Bar." Yes, I'm serious. Yes, it's a fantastical place. All of the next to each other bars on this street have outdoor drinking areas. So when you stand at one end of the street and look down it, it looks like heaven. I mean, it looks like it's all one bar. Oh by the way, the beer in Germany is about half the price of the water. My liver hurts and I like it.

These houses probably cost 2 million euros easy. They are right on the river and I want one.


If you go up the stairs in the picture before this one then you'll be at this market. There were sausages and crepes and honey and jewelry all for sale on one side and the Rhine on the other.

I think I'm in love. I want to be a Dusseldorfer.

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! I've not been to Dusseldorf - yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sausages, crepes, honey and the world's longest bar? sign me up! i'm sold! oh, and i'll take one of those nice pretty places on the river too, please. looks like a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete

You are a lovely person.