Friday, May 14, 2010

Personal Trainer

I really like to workout. I know, I said it. It's true. I feel so good afterwards and accomplished. Can I tell you a secret, though? I had no idea what I was doing. I'd go to the gym, paddle on the elliptical maybe do a squat, touch my toes and call it a good workout.

But now, oh now! I'm sore. I realize I have a heart that beats at a certain rate and that rate needs to get in a certain range. So much knowledge.

"American's workout far too much," Chiara my Italian trainer said to me. "They do not exercise in the correct way." I believe her because based on my level of soreness I'm pretty sure I've been doing crunches/sit-ups incorrectly my entire life.

I'm so much more confident at the gym. I don't meander through the machines anymore. I don't bounce mindlessly on the elliptical anymore. Can I share another secret with you? Exercising with a purpose is a lot more interesting than just paddle, paddle, paddle. My 30 minute cardio flies by.

So, onward to goals:
  • currently my heart rate gets up to 180 to even 190 when working out. I want it to cap at 160 when I'm working out intensely.
  • I want to lose 10 pounds by the time my husband gets home (November or December) 15 in total by some unforeseen date. *digression* I think women are way to obsessed with the number on the scale. There are so many other healthy numbers that we should be concerned with. That said loosing that little bit of weight will help me be my healthiest which is my goal. *end digression*
  • Run a 5K before my husband gets home, ideally in September.
I'm excited to tackle these goals with my whole sweaty self and will be keeping updates here to track my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a lovely person.